Are you pregnant? these cleaning products are safe for you.

31 May 2022

Pregnancy is not a disease and if it is all going well, physical activity like cleaning is not banned. Just remember to choose cleaning products that are safe for both the mother and the baby.   

All cleaning products that received the approval of authorities have the required legal certificates and most of them are non-toxic – except for those specially marked for that. Therefore, cleaning during pregnancy is not dangerous! Obviously, it is better to be safe than sorry and not to endanger the health of the expectant mothers or babies. That is why it is best to avoid aerosol sprays during cleaning, as they can be inhaled unnecessarily when sprayed.  

Gentle washing-up detergents, window cleaners and washing powders are safe for pregnant women. They do not contain toxic substances that could be risky. Products intended for pregnant women have the appropriate certificates which guarantee that they have been tested for safety for the fetus. Read labels very carefully and pay attention to safety certificates when choosing such products in the store.

However, not all household detergents are natural and safe. Pregnant women should avoid those labeled as toxic. If you are not sure whether a product is safe, a good test is to check whether it smells intensely, and if so, it is better not to use it.

Eco-friendly mom cleans green

Expectant moms also have a choice of very simple and natural solutions that effectively deal with dirt at home. If regular store detergents do not convince you, there is a whole range of ready-made eco-friendly products on the market designed just for that. Cleaning sprays, floor cleaners, washing up liquids, dishwasher detergents, washing powders and liquids, toilet cleaners – these products are often based on plant ingredients, do not contain substances of animal origin (they are vegan). In contrast, they contain surfactants derived from coconut oil, vegetable starch and polysaccharides, but also vegetable alcohol, natural citric acid and minerals such as soda, silicates, pumice and lime dust. They are not tested on animals and can be safely used in the household as they don’t contain irritants.

Not all that glitters is green

When you see “92% naturally derived ingredients” on the label, don’t get excited right away! Think about it: what’s in the other 8%? Often, unfortunately, there is exactly the same dose of “chemicals” as in a standard cleaning product.

If you are not familiar with the ingredients, it is best to choose 100% natural products or… use the ingenious and reliable methods of our grandmothers.

What to avoid during pregnancy?

When you are pregnant, you cannot combine certain substances, such as bleach and ammonia, vinegar and baking soda, or different kinds of pipe cleaners. These mixtures are either caustic or harmful to the respiratory system. Aerosols, acetone, artificial fragrances, and antifungal agents can also be harmful during pregnancy.

Cleaning while pregnant: a few safety rules

  • make sure the products you plan to use while pregnant are safe;
  • wear rubber gloves and a long-sleeved blouse;
  • wear a mask;
  • do not inhale cleaning products and only clean rooms that can be easily ventilated, leaving the rest of the work to your partner;
  • do not participate in renovation or redecoration work as you will be exposed to paint, solvents and other toxins;
  • don’t strain yourself while cleaning: if you are exhausted or the aroma mix makes you nauseous or gives you a headache, remember that your well-being is more important than spotless cleanliness.

Find out more on green cleaning at

Latest comments

There are no comments. Be the first.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *